Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Korea weather in August

Hi, we have time to travel to Korea only in August - do you know what is the weather in that time? I know it is rainy season but what concretely this means?

Are some areas better or worse in this period?

Thanks,

Katja

Korea weather in August

I would say not the best time to visit. In early August it rains pretty much every day all day and it is very hot and humid. Of course, you%26#39;ll get some days with sunshine -- it just depends, but again, scorching hot. This is true all across the peninsula as well. I%26#39;m not sure if Jeju Island shares this weather, but I%26#39;m pretty sure it does.

Korea weather in August

Thanks so much - I have just decided to go anyway but now when I read your email...I think I will go somewhere else...any ideas for August?

KAT


How about the sea coast of Japan? I%26#39;m going for a short trip in early June.

The reason I mention this is because coastal cities/towns tend to be a little cooler even in hotter months. It%26#39;s an idea. There are some verrrrry beautiful coastal cities in Japan. I%26#39;m going to one called Miyazu. There is a site there called Amanohashidate and it%26#39;s one of Japan%26#39;s 3 most scenic areas. Amanohashidate means ';bridge to the heavens';. Further up the coast is the area of Niigata which I heard is also wonderful.

Maybe you could try going over to the Japan forums and get some ideas.

August is blazing hot in Korea and Japan. But I think the coast could give you some relief.

I%26#39;m sorry you won%26#39;t make it to Seoul. It%26#39;s really wonderful. Then again Korea has a coastal line on three sides, so that%26#39;s still an option too.


hi thanks for this kind idea. We would like to go travel back pack not for holidays lsying on the beach...is this part of Japan still an option?

Greetings from Slovenia:=)


Hello, lovely Slovenia. :)

YES, absolutely. You don%26#39;t need to lie on a beach (not sure if the Japanese even do that--but they do swim) to enjoy the coast of Japan. There is plenty of sight-seeing to do in the coastal cities. Especially if you love nature. There are some great nature walks in Miyazu, including Amanohashidate.

Here is some info on Miyazu and Amanohashidate:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3990.html

www2.gol.com/users/miyazu/hasidate.html

http://www.joho-kyoto.or.jp/~center/english/shop/amanohashidate/

This link -- the joho one -- gives you four nature walk options. Just click on ';sightseeing guide, beautiful spots';.

http://apike.ca/japan_amanohashidate.html

I%26#39;m sure you can find a lot more, too. However, if you are still interested I will help you get info if I can. Just let me know. I%26#39;m planning my trip there for early June. I know there are some good hotels and guest houses there. Also, if it interests you, there is another kind of treasure in Miyazu: Miyazu Catholic church, the second oldest Christian church in Japan. It is small and beautiful, built in the European style on the outside and Japanese style on the inside.

I cannot swear that it won%26#39;t be hot in August...I%26#39;m just thinking it may be cooler than other spots. The lady I corresponded with at city hall (very little english) did tell me that it will be ';a bit chilly'; when I am there in early June...so that tells me it%26#39;s cooler along the sea coast.

There are many other coastal cities you could look into as well.

I hope something works out for you and you can visit this beautiful country.


Sorry, wasn%26#39;t sure if that ';joho'; URL hyperlinked. Here it is again:

http://www.joho-kyoto.or.jp/~center/english/shop/amanohashidate/

Just to clarify for you: Miyazu City is part of Kyoto. I believe you can get to Miyazu in less than 2 hours from Kyoto on the bullet train.

If you look at the Japan map, find Kyoto and then use your finger to trace a line straight up but slightly to the left--you will find Miyazu there.

Here%26#39;s another fun fact: you can easily get to Himeji where you can see the famous Himeji castle from Kyoto in one hour or from Miyazu in about the same amount of time. Himeji makes for a great day trip either from Kyoto or from Miyazu.

If you look on the map, find Kyoto, then find Miyazu above it, then from Miyazu trace downwards to your left a little bit you will see Himeji. These 3 places form a triangle.


Unless you go to Hokkaido I can%26#39;t see any reason why coastal japanese towns should be cooler than korean coastal towns. There are many lovely korean coastal towns as well.

Yes, it%26#39;s hot and sticky in Seoul in beginning of august, but you would be very unlucky to have rain everyday. Rainy season is july.

I would recommend to stick to your original plan, because Korea is less touristy, much cheaper and imho better food.

And what about a tour to North Korea?


Hi,

thank you - I have already decided not to go, but now it is tempting again...:) Have you been there in summer months?


Yes, I have been in Korea 4 times during summer months (july, august and september). As I said, july is the rainy season and then it rains about every 3 days, but most days are hot, sticky and cloudy. When august starts, you start to get more sun, but still rains about every 3-4 days until mid/end of august when the number of rainy days get less. Sometimes I guess you can be unlucky and have 3-4 days of rain in a row.

If you don%26#39;t mind warm weather, I wouldn%26#39;t be concerned about going to Korea in august. It doesn%26#39;t rain all the time.

I don%26#39;t know what your plans are and how long you are staying, but I would definetly recommend you to go to Kroea!


Thank nice to hear all this suggestions - now we have decided for a shorter stay in Portugal, but Korea remains our goal - if not during the year then next summer. I hope you have a good plan for travelling this summer as well:)

  • rodents
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment