Saturday, April 21, 2012

Protests/Riots in Seoul

If you are a white person, take extra precaution in the City Hall area of Seoul and elsewhere. There are protests and riots relating to a trade agreement with the Americans. A Swiss person was attacked a few years ago at a protest/riot relating to America, so if you think you could be mistaken as an American, be careful. The protests and riots this sommer are big and news reports say the protests and riots will be continuing for a while.



Protests/Riots in Seoul


An interesting post.



What extra precautions are possible, I wonder?



My advice would be simply not to walk into or through large gatherings of people who are protesting. I would never do that anyway, though, as I wouldn%26#39;t know what I was letting myself in for.





The riot/protest is not really anything to do with America as such. It is to do with the agreement to resume importing USDA beef, signed by Korean president.



Protests/Riots in Seoul


I%26#39;m not sure where all to avoid. Obviously, the large crowds where people are assaulting the police are dangerous, even for police. But I%26#39;ve seen photos and articles of people throwing feces in the meat section of grocery stores. Not that getting hit by feces is dangerous, per se.




ethelman2 is totally right. Current protest is against korean government not US. Though you are white, it is less likely that you are attacked by protestors than you meet buglar in your place. But you need to avoid places where protestor and police stand face to face. Actually it is common sense everywhere, isn%26#39;t it? If you are surrounded by protestors, just shout ';Lee Myungbak Out!'; Then they will cheer you and give you some food and drink.




A Canadian, Matt Lamers, the editor for The Korean Herald%26#39;s ';Expat Living'; section has been stabbed in a park in Seoul, but survived the attack.





…blogspot.com/2008/06/expat-still-living.html




Hi! I am from California. My 2 kids and I are going this mid July should I cancel our trip just on the safe side






I wouldn%26#39;t cancel the trip. Leave your Cal or UCLA cap at home and enjoy your trip. Instead of the big chain hotels, especially in the area of the protests, I would stay in a love motel. Seriously. The kids would love it and they%26#39;re not like the no tell motels in the West. And they%26#39;re cheap. A real underrated value. 60,000 won for a room better than Sheraton or Hilton with usually a computer and internet. Unless you have a lot of money and want to stay at the Hotel Intercontinental since it%26#39;s conveniently attached to COEX.




Hello HansWittman



We are Mix (White/Chinese) I hope that wouldn%26#39;t get us in trouble. But we%26#39;ll make sure not to get near Protestors. By the way! R they out protesting everyday? Hope not!



Thanks HansWittman :)




I think a compromise has been reached, so hopefully the protests are coming to an end. I think you and your children will have a wonderful time. I always do whenever I go to Seoul.




Hello HansWittman



Will do!



Thanks Again for your Replied



mdhotrod




racoon22



i like to check for the protest, where are they held in Seoul? Is it near places like Myungdong etc? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment